for Society - Environment (PWP).
- 20 Random Reasons to Really Love Trees (Melissa Breyer, Treehugger, 2018).
Crisis for Beginners (Usborne)
[Great for children].
on Planet Earth [Extinction Rebellion scientists community
answer explain so many of the issues and likely outcomes].
- Facts (NASA).
Case for Climate Change PDF
- What evidence exists that Earth is warming and that humans are the main cause? (David Herring & Rebecca Lindsey, NOAA, 2020, updated 2022).
- The Great Acceleration since 1950 in Graphs (XR Cambridge, 2020; also here).
- How the
oil industry made us
doubt climate change (BBC, 2020)
[Same evil tactics as
plastic, sugar industries].
- Biodiversity: Why the nature crisis matters,
in five graphics
global warming of 1.8° F (1° C) seems small, so why is
this change in global temperature a concern? (NOAA, 2020).
change? A really simple guide (BBC, 2021).
- The climate crisis in 28 seconds (Asad Rehman, COP26, 2021) [28s video].
- Global nightmare: What happens if humanity doesn’t take real action against climate change (Marshall Brain, WRAL TechWire, 2022) [Degrowth is also needed].
Dimming (BBC Horizon, 2005)
[This documentary explains how human-caused atmospheric
pollution acts as
a mirror (to the Sun). It has cooled the Earth and masked global
warming (due to human-caused
greenhouse gases). As we stop polluting - as we must, for health and
reasons - global warming will accelerate rapidly. So, a
increase is likely by 2100. Also see here.]
Up, Freak Out - then Get a Grip (Leo Murray, 2008)
change is simple (David Roberts, TEDx, 2012)
- Climate Change: What Happens If The World Warms Up By 2°C? [2m35s]; 3°C? [1m47s]; 4°C? [1m57s]; 5°C? [2m40s] (Sky News, 2015).
Will Steffen explains the Climate Crisis in 2 minutes (2016)
Seconds (Spencer Sharp & Prince Ea,
#Film4Climate 1st Prize Short Film Winner, 2016)
[If you condense Earth's lifespan of 4.5 billion years into one day,
will humans survive to the fourth second of their presence on Earth?] [4m17s].
the Big Deal With a Few Degrees? (Global
Weirding with Prof Katharine Hayhoe, 2019)
[In daily life, ambient temperature changes a lot, so why panic? In the
CEE the temperature change is a global average, so it can be compared
to a prolonged fever in the human body. A few degrees difference can be
very debilitating and dangerous. And it is happening so fast.] [9m4s].
Change: The Facts
(BBC, 2019 documentary with David Attenborough)
(BBC, 2020 documentary with David Attenborough)
educational videos (The Story of Stuff
Project, 2021) [from 2m to 22m].
- Too late
to stop Climate Change? (ClimateAdam, 2020)
[Fun, educational] [5m24s].
it time to reassess our relationship with nature? (BBC
Ideas, 2020) [4m44s].
Shaman's Message (Instituto Socioambiental, 2020)
looking at Billions of People not being able to Survive'
(Peter Carter & Roger Hallam, 2021) [41m20s].
Thunberg speech (Schwarzenegger Climate
Initiative, July 2021;
also see here)
[Brilliant, speaking truth to power] [7m17s].
- How the
Media helped create Climate Change (George Monbiot,
Double Down News, 2021) [9m39s].
Government Ad - Carbon Capture and Storage (The
Juice Media, 2021) [4m44s].
Paradox (Beril Sirmacek, 2021)
[The Climate Paradox is that - due to Global Dimming - any reduction in
fossil fuels will lead to rapid catastrophic warming due to the lost
polluting-yet-reflective atmospheric aerosols. Solution = masses of
Arctic mirrors, then simultaneously: reduce industrial emissions, stop
fossil fuels and agricultural methane, rewild the planet.] [7m41s].
- Honest Government Ad - Net Zero by 2050 (feat. Greta) (The Juice Media, 2021) [3m45s].
- The climate crisis in 28 seconds (Asad Rehman, COP26, 2021) [28s].
- Jonathan Pie: The World's End (Spanner Films, 2021) [Sad yet hilarious exposé of COP26 - with George Monbiot, Caroline Lucas & Ed Miliband] [23m2s].
- Don't Look Up (2021) [The asteroid is a metaphor for the CEE. Stars include Leonardo DiCaprio, Jennifer Lawrence, Meryl Streep.] [2h18m].
- World on 'fast track to climate disaster', say UN secretary general (The Guardian, 2022) [Massive switch to renewables needed right now] [2m16s].
- CEE Quotes
Emergency Centres (CEC) [Establish one in your community!].
Truth About Climate Change
(Mark Cranfield) [Twitter account that tends to cut
through political/economic/scientific ignorance, greenwashing,
caution. (But I disagree with him on: (1) God - he doesn't believe yet; (2) Population - it's not the root of all problems; (3) Need for degrowth - we need to try!; (4) He doesn't want us to stop fossil fuels
due to aerosol loss & its sudden global warming - but surely we
must run the gauntlet, so as to minimise geopolitical conflict - &
otherwise for sure we will be extinct?; (5) Too doomist - I back this.)].
- The Lorax (Dr Seuss, 1971) [Are you a Once-ler who says stopping business as usual is impractical? Or do you care a whole awful lot?].
you're ready to take action against climate change... (J
Ferorelli, 2018) [Flowchart].
- An Audacious Toolkit: Actions Against Climate
3 (Prof Julia Steinberger, Medium, 2018).
- How to live with the climate crisis without becoming a nihilist
Kalmus, Los Angeles Times, 2019).
- We Can Use Less Energy and Still Have Good
living for all does not have to cost the Earth (Leeds
- 'We've had so many wins': why the green
movement can overcome climate crisis (Fiona Harvey, The Guardian, 2020).
- How affluent people can end their mindless
Bhalla & Eliza Barclay, Vox, 2020).
things you can do about climate change (Imperial College,
best and 5 worst things a person can do for the climate
(Peter Kalmus, 2021).
- Why you don’t give a f#*k about climate change (but these 6 GIFs can fix that) (Will Essilfie & Clare Saxon Ghauri, Medium, 2021).
climate crisis is global, but councils can offer local solutions
(Stephen Smellie, The Guardian, 2021)
[With government support, councils can lead the way in generating clean
energy, insulating housing and reskilling staff].
- Want to fight for climate action but feel daunted or powerless? Try this (Tayo Bero, The Guardian, 2021) [Pressure organisations: employer, university, union, religion].
- Here’s how to demolish the most common excuses for climate crisis apathy (Elizabeth Cripps, The Guardian, 2022).
- Six promises you can make to help reduce carbon emissions (The Guardian, 2022).
- Population Control & Cybertron
& Elysium (PWP).
- Decolonize Conservation (Survival) [also join the call here!].
using China as an excuse for inaction on climate change (George Monbiot, The Guardian, 2015)
[Invoking Yellow Peril tropes over China’s carbon footprint
to recognise the fact its energy use is tied to our consumption, the
country’s coal demand is dropping and Chinese people care
about climate than we do].
- Climate action must now focus on the global
rich and their corporations (The Conversation, 2018).
- Beware far-right arguments
disguised as environmentalism (The Conversation, 2020).
Adaptation (Prof Jem Bendell, 2020).
richest 1% cause double CO2 emissions of poorest 50%, says Oxfam
- Johnson's pledges on the environment are
worthless. Worse is how cynical they are (George Monbiot, The
- 'Uninhabitable hell': UN report lays bare the
reality of climate change
Will Ruin the Earth by 2050, Scientists Say (Vice,
Climate Movement Must Be Ready To Challenge Rising Right-Wing
(Sam Knights, Jacobin, 2020) [On ecofascism].
of people cause half of global aviation
emissions – study (The
soils underpin life but future looks ‘bleak’, warns
UN report (The
Global 'elite' will need to slash high-carbon lifestyles (BBC,
great overview, but, for me, too much doom, not enough Angel - though she and
others will see me as delusional].
scientists warn of 'ghastly future of mass extinction' and climate
disruption (The Guardian, 2021).
global climate poll: ‘The people’s voice is clear
– they want action’ (The
Guardian, 2021) [Two-thirds think it's a global
a simple answer to climate change. But will capitalism allow it?
(Bill McGuire, Prospect, 2021) [Degrowth].
activism isn’t making young people anxious. Climate change is
(Natasha Abhayawickrama, The Guardian, 2021).
are no real climate leaders yet – who will step up at Cop26?
(Greta Thunberg, The Guardian, 2021)
[Basically, Governments & media deny, lie, kill].
Big Oil knew about climate change, in its own words (Benjamin
Franta, The Conversation, 2021).
continuation of colonialism’: indigenous activists say their
voices are missing at Cop26 (The
Guardian, 2021) [They reject the ‘big
- Cop26 has to be about keeping fossil fuels in the ground. All else is distraction (George Monbiot, The Guardian, 2021).
- Cop26 leaders blame individuals, while supporting a far more destructive system (Stephen Reicher, The Guardian, 2021)
[It suits governments to lecture us on our consumption, but they need
to offer systemic change to tackle the climate crisis].
- How rising groundwater caused by climate change could devastate coastal communities (Kendra Pierre-Louis, MIT Technology Review, 2021) [We will experience groundwater flooding long before the ocean comes lapping at our front door].
Natural Family Living
People and Ageing
- Natural Family Living
- Life - Wendy Priesnitz
- Peggy O'Mara -
website of former editor of Mothering
magazine - The home for Natural Family Living.
- Wondrous Beginnings
- Wendy McCarty, Prenatal & Perinatal Psychology pioneer.
Motherworld is the society where mothers and
the values of mothering – love, care and support for each
other, and for our
Mother Earth and all Her creatures and nature – are placed in
the centre of our
lives, rather than being left out on the periphery [also
- Big Life Issues (PWP).
- wikiHow - Free
helpful advice on how to do almost anything with a supportive community.
Causes, Activism & World Change
- Success for Society -
- Unity Obstacles -
Political Machinations (PWP).
- MotherWorld Political
case for global free movement - Bridges not Borders (Global
Justice Now, 2018) [Comic book simply explains how we
need to treat immigration].
- Should citizens assemblies be mandatory? (The Guardian, 2020).
does the right keep pretending the left runs Britain? (The
[Trump/Republicans/GOP does the same in the USA].
destruction and chaos has become the new way of governing
- Noam Chomsky: The world is at the most
dangerous moment in human history (New Statesman, 2020).
is now a mafia state
is in decline. Here’s how we can revive it (The
[Explains ‘Citizens’ Assemblies’ simply
- The Trial
of Julian Assange Should Terrify
Everyone (Matt Kennard, DDN, 2020) [4m41s video].
- The Tipping Point - Infinite Waters (Ralph Smart, After Skool, 2021) [10m12s video].
Culture & Philosophy
- Underclass &
Fragility: Why It's So Hard to Talk to White People about Racism
(Dr Robin DiAngelo, PhD, 2015).
Ways Spiritual Thinking Can Reinforce Oppression and Racism
(Virginia Rosenberg, Decolonizing Yoga, 2016)
[Sorry, but link is currently not working].
Why racism in US is worse than in Europe (BBC,
the legacy of America's blackface (BBC, 2019).
the term 'racist' be redefined? (BBC, 2019)
[Racism as action or inaction - rather than a permanent label. Racism as systemic - more than
- 'I want my
be proud they're black' (BBC, 2020).
- How the long fight for slavery reparations
is slowly being won
corporate, commodified Black History Month is taking hold. We can't let
it (Malaika Jabali, The Guardian, 2021).
invention of whiteness: the long history of a dangerous idea
(Robert P Baird, The Guardian, 2021)
[Before the 17th century, people did not think of themselves as
belonging to something called the white race. But once the idea was
invented, it quickly began to reshape the modern world.].
years after the English riots, the government is still in denial about
racism (Chloe Peacock, The Guardian, 2021).
more white saviours, thanks: how to be a true anti-racist ally
(Nova Reid, The Guardian, 2021).
- Whoopi Goldberg’s Holocaust remarks drew on a misguided idea of racism (Kenan Malik, The Guardian, 2022) [Whites can be racist to other whites, e.g. WW2 Jews, GRT, Irish, Slavs. Race has never been simply about black and white.].
- Success for Society - Women
Importance of Women (PWP).
- Women & Failure
& Failure Quotes (PWP).
- Sexual Consent & Harassment (PWP).
- Goddess (PWP).
- MotherWorld Political
- 100 Women:
Do female leaders improve women's lives? (BBC,
- 100 Women:
'Why I invented the glass ceiling phrase' (BBC,
would a city designed by women be like? (BBC,
with a vagina should know (BBC, 2019).
collective feminist leadership – unlearning the
“me, me, me” (The
Community Feminists Magazine, 2020).
- Living in a woman’s body: our fists raised in defiance, we are taking back what is ours (V, The Guardian, 2022).
- Prehistoric women were hunters and artists as well as mothers, book reveals (The Guardian, 2022)
[Debunks the simplistic division of gender roles. Women had many roles.
They were not continually pregnant, as they breastfed till children
aged four, which reduces fertility. Cooperation between all members of
the group, regardless of their gender or age, ensured their survival.].